Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Little Penguin, Big Dud


The Little Penguin, Pinot Noir (Austrailian)

It was New Year's Eve, and I found myself at a friend's home deliberating over the line-up of open wine bottles on his bar. Several of my old favorites were stocked, but I decided with the coming new year just moments away, it was time to try something new. Right in the middle of the bar was a big bottle of The Little Penguin Pinot Noir. I've seen The Little Pengiun wines all over my local liquor store, but had never tried any. Most of my experiences with Aussie Reds have been good, and since I love Pinot Noir I thought, why not? I poured myself a generous glass and took my first sip...BLEEEECH!!!! WTF?!!! That's a pinot noir? If that's a pinot noir, I'm Nicole Kidman! It was heavy, sludgy and acidic. It was so undrinkable I almost wondered if the bottle had actually gone bad, although no one else at the party had said anything. Maybe they were being polite like me, slinking off to dump my glass in the kitchen sink while everyone was in the family room watching the ball drop.

Well, asuredly not the best way to send off 2006, but at least I know I won't be buying any of The Little Penguin in 2007.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

y'all should give us some reference points. What wines do you like (grapes and vintages both)? But don't do it here, make a real entry out of it.

clinkies!

zippychik said...

Good idea, gnome! I will post that or past it along to kleo. She's really into shirazz.